Sunday, February 17, 2008

Packing bags

I've got to pack my kids' bags! No, they're not really going anywhere in particular yet...but soon, eventually they will face this journey of life on thier own. In a limited time (18 yrs or so) my wife and I are supposed to prepare them for the trip.
As I have traveled, I've learned how devestating any journey can be if you don't bring the right stuff...or the airline loses your luggage. With Meyson being fourteen I wonder if there is time enough to fit it all in. I didn't come up with this metaphor(or is it analogy?) on my own. I heard the parenting process put this way in a sermon somewhere and it stuck. Boy, did it ever stick! I guess it is because I've spent so much time traveling over the last two or so years.
As with any trip, I guess I should start with a list of appropriate items to take... right? So here goes:
The list(so far)
Responsibility
A Warm Coat
Good Decision Making Skills
Comfortable Shoes
Faith
Honesty
Clean Underwear
Love of Life
Dreams
Mouthwash?
Strong Self Worth
Love
Organizational Skills
Clothes
A Hat
The Knowledge that no Matter What; I love them.
"Meyson, Brianna, Cody, Carson, Memphis,..Baby on the way; Know this:
I LOVE YOU!"
The Ability to Find JOY Everyday...
I don't know maybe I'm making too much of this...but, it is our job right? As parents, to help them prepare for their own journey, their own life? Don't get me wrong here. I know that they will stumble, fall, and sometimes, flat out fail. But I think the better their bags are packed, the less they'll have to search for who they are and what they want and what they need...

No comments: